2013.10 Activity Report
From IMarine Wiki
This Activity Report captures the activities performed in October 2013
This report is organized in two parts:
- Progress and Achievements at the WP level reports a concise overview of the activities, issues and corrective actions, and major achievements produced by each WP Leader;
- Progress and Achievements by WP and Beneficiary reports a detailed description of the activities, issues and corrective actions, and major achievements produced by each beneficiary at the level of Project task.
Progress and Achievements at WP level
WP1: Administrative and Financial Management
WP Leader: ERCIM - Participants: CNR
- Jessica returns and takes the responsibility of iMarine with Philippe's support. Linh remains as project assistant.
- Monitor and submit of the due deliverables and milestone achievement statements
- Collect bi-monthly report (September - October 2013)
- Be in touch with NKUA for CFS to conclude P2 report
- Prepare the amenment of the DOW (extension and subcontract change)
WP2: Project Management
WP Leader: CNR - Participants: NKUA, FAO
- CNR-FAO Strategic meeting (02.10);
- Organization and chairing of the SB meeting call (07-10.09)
- Preparation of a series of presentations for the iMarine Board and iMarine Extended meetings (16-17.10)
- Preparation and chairing of the TCom (14-16.10);
- Participation and presentation of the iMarine project in the MODEG (EMODNET Expert Group) meeting;
- Meeting with LifeWatch Spanish and Italian representatives;
- Preparation of a draft version (still to be circulated) of the revised project DoW;
- New liaisons established;
- iMarine shared workspace operation and maintenance.
No major issues
- Quarterly TCom;
- Monthly SB meeting;
- Participation in the MODEG meeting;
- Meeting with Lifewatch;
- New liaisons.
WP3: Governance and Policy Development
WP Leader: FAO - Participants: ERCIM, CNR, NKUA, FORTH, TERRADUE, FIN, UNESCO, CRIA, IRD
- Organization and conducting of iMarine Board Meeting Rome 17 - 18 October in Rome;
- Establishment and organization of iMarine Extended Board and it's first meeting in Rome 16 October.
- Prepare contacts (meetings like EUDAT and ABNJ) and subcontract (NEAFC)
- Presentation of Fishframe related activities: summary of activities, possible relationships with RCM relational datasbases for DG-MARE DCF data.
iMarine Board Meeting and Extended Board meeting:
- Planning, participation and reporting;
- Planning of activities and endorsement of FishFrame and VME-DB activity by iMarine board.
- Data access and sharing policy draft commented by FAO, now open for comments by other legal departments;
- Software policy slides prepared for Board.
- FORTH continued with TLO;
- FAO continued with SmartFish, NEAFC work-plan prepared at high-level;
- Participation to TCom and Board discussion, including preparatory and follow-up on:
- Work on db connectivity started; use cases are VME-DB (WP6), NEAFC, RDB with FISHFRAME / FLUX, VALID;
- Cotrix development;
- FLOD refinement and data content revision (e.g. the new EEZ layers from VLIZ);
- Validation of VRE's and related iMarine products.
- Deliverable and Milestone reporting on iMB are late, due to late data of these events.
- The iMarine Board report was prepared;
- The Draft of the iMarine Data Access and Sharing Policy draft was extensively commented;
- The ToR for the iMarine follow up was prepared.
- The VME-DB activity planned and started;
- The NEAFC contract drafted, needs SB approval. The output of this DB-to-iMarine component will be re-used in:
- VME-DB (possibly);
- FishFrame in regional Databases;
- VALID (potentially).
WP4: Communication, Dissemination and Training
WP Leader: TRUST-IT - Participants: CNR, NKUA, FAO
The WP leader should report here a summary of the activities performed in the reporting period
- Go live of the new "services oriented" iMarine website & further improvements according to partners suggestions
- Publication of 3 presentations on slideshare: iMarine initiative overview by Donatella Castelli http://www.slideshare.net/iMarine283644/imarine-initiative-overview; iMarine Products & Services by Pasquale Pagano http://www.slideshare.net/iMarine283644/imarine-products-and-services-delivery; iMarine exploitation opportunities http://www.slideshare.net/iMarine283644/imarine-exploitation-opportunities
- Creation of the Applications Catalogue flier for the EUDAT & ICT2013 conference
- Creation of the iMarine whitepaper
- Organisation of the October WP4 call to discuss about the outcomes of the review and related recommendations.
- Publication of the "gCube developers guide" e-Training module www.i-marine.eu/eTraining.aspx
- October newsletter http://i-marine.eu/Content/eLibrary.aspx?id=1e68db2b-eb8b-4972-81d9-8806e202a51c&li=0
- 4th iMarine Board and Extended Board Meeting, 16-18 October 2013, Rome, Italy http://www.i-marine.eu/Content/eLibrary.aspx?id=97da89b2-c104-471a-8acf-e8e3a59fc90e&li=0
- iMarine presentation by Donatella Castelli, CNR-ISTI, at the 20th Marine Observation and Data Expert Group Meeting, 21-22 October 2013, Brussels, Belgium http://www.i-marine.eu/Content/eLibrary.aspx?id=8061b2c3-4d50-47c6-8d33-296f40ee88d9&li=0
- iMarine: Data Sharing and Enrichment Workshop @ EUDAT 2nd Conference, Monday 28th October 2013 - 14:00 – 18:00, Rome, Italy http://www.i-marine.eu/Content/eLibrary.aspx?id=7708f770-e791-4c27-be42-7d2898be3251&li=0
- iMarine presentation at the TDWG 2013 Annual Conference, 29 October 2013, Florence, Italy. Presentation by Gianpaolo Coro http://www.i-marine.eu/Content/eLibrary.aspx?id=919e1691-3d2e-4817-bdac-047cf77b77a0&li=0
- iMarine October newsletter Spotlight on iMarine: new synergies and ICT2013 http://www.i-marine.eu/Content/eLibrary.aspx?id=1e68db2b-eb8b-4972-81d9-8806e202a51c&li=0
The major issues faced in the reporting period and the identified corrective actions should be reported here
The WP leader should report here a bullet list highlighting the main achievements of the reporting period
WP5: iMarine Data e-Infrastructure Deployment and Operation
WP Leader: CERN - Participants: CNR, NKUA, FAO, FIN
In the context of T5.1:
CERN released new version of the org.gcube.distributionfor gCube 2.17. It includes :
- A new component implementing the Distribution for the Smartgears Framework 2170 , with the related documentation
- a new version of the GHN Distribution
CERN configured 2 more instances of the statistical manager in production (2245)
CERN started also the Indexing of the Collection is FARM in order to create then the MarineSearch VRE(2283). The activity was stopped because of issue on the TM oai-plugin, therefore it has been decided to wait for gCube 2.17 to be in production to fix the problem and continue the activity.
CNR and CERN made also a survey of the available resource in the development infra @ CNR (http://wiki.i-marine.eu/index.php/Development_Resources) and the available ones have been freed ( in the context of T5.2) in order to be reused for the production infrastructure
In the context of T5.2:
CNR has installed 2 new VMs for statistical manager and freed a lot of development nodes not used in order to be reused in the production infrastructure.
NKUA Upgraded UMD site BDII to UMD-3 while FAO trained a VRE Manager on the vre definition and operation.
In the context of T5.3:
A new subsystem for monitoring and accounting has been released by CERN in gCube 2.17, it contains:
- an updated version of the accounting portlets with GWT 2.5.1 2231
- Mavenized version of the NodeAccounting portlet
In order to remove the dependency to gCF portal side some of the Accounting components have been also updated and a new accounting probe for the portal has started to be ported as webapp. 2215
- A new version of the org.gcube.distribution subsystem was released in gCube 2.17.
- A new version of the org.gcube.messaging subsystem was released in gCube 2.17.
WP6: Virtual Research Environments Deployment and Operation
WP Leader: CNR - Participants: ERCIM, NKUA, FAO, FIN, UNESCO, CRIA, IRD
For Virtual Research Environments Operation:
- the previously deployed Virtual Research Environments have been maintained in operation;
- the FishFinderVRE has been reviewed successfully by FAO team;
For resources and tools provision:
- Species Name Reconciliation development continued, e.g. integration on BiOnym in Statistical Service;
- COTRIX development continued, e.g. publishing facility development started;
- VME-DB-related activity started, e.g. design of a data exchange service, design of iMarine report enhancements;
- Integration of ASFIS via SPD plugin;
- TM-plug-ins: enhancements in OAI-TM and FishFinder-TM, e.g. bug fixing, fault tolerance mechanisms;
- IRD tuna indicators development continued, e.g. I3, I4, I6 RDF metadata enhanced;
For common interfaces and tools:
- A number of portlets have been revised to comply with new portal requirements, e.g. sw upload wizard;
- SPD has been enhanced, e.g. revised the view details facility;
- HomeLibrary has been revised, e.g. by introducing the gCubeItem for supporting "services";
- VRE Definition has been reinforced, e.g. equipped with notifications, ported to FWS;
- A new search portlet has been designed and released;
- Results portlet has been revised, e.g. storage of compound objects in the workspace by integration with HomeLibrary;
- Information Space Editor has been revised to support OpenSearch collections;
- Existing VREs have been maintained;
- BiOnym released;
- Integration of ASFIS in SPD;
- Reinforcement of OAI-TM and FishFinder-TM plugins;
- A number of portlets have been revised for bug fixing and/or new guidelines, GWT porting;
- A number of portlets have been reinforced;
WP7: Enabling-technology Integration and Distribution
WP Leader: E-IIS - Participants: CNR, NKUA
- Participation to the tcom meeting in Rome.
- Integration of gCube 2.17.0 started on 21st October. A total of 10 integration builds have been executed in the reporting period. 10 integration issues have been identified and managed through Trac system.
- Implementation of a number of checks to highlights (potential) issues in the release process. The outcome of such checks, ran over daily builds, is published regularly for the usage of developers and integrators.
- Enhancement of the support for 'builds from binary' in ETICS in order to reduce build times for single components/subsystems.
- Operation of the ETICS service.
WP8: iMarine Data e-Infrastructure Enabling Technology Development
WP Leader: CNR - Participants: NKUA, E-IIS, FAO
T8.1: Enabling-technology Development
- Finalised and released last missing components of the smartgears suite for gCube 2.17
- Developed documentation pages for smartgears
- Presented smartgears at the 7th TCom
- Finalised and released FWS components that handles gcube jaxws service calls. Bugfixing activity on common-gcore-resources.
- Released new version of executor service
- Developed and released FWS compliant version of softwaregateway client libraries along with a CLI application that can be used to invoke software gateway methods
- Bugfixing activity on softwaregateway service.
- Refactorings on resourcemanager-client library and updated documentation on the wiki.
- Developed and released FWS compliant version of resourcemanager-client.
T8.2: Policy-oriented Security Facilities
- Presented activities done at the 7th Tcom
- Updated documentation on authentication, authorization, accounting
- Developed and tested integration of SAML assertion Id in portal
T8.3: Workflow Management Facilities
- Released components that allow PE2ng compliance with Map-Reduce / Master-Worker paradigm
- Delivered enhancements in the context of search performance (WorkflowSearch adapter).
- Updated documentation on the wiki about the Resource Registry
- Resource registry
- Enabled per-VOVirtual Organization; configuration in Resource Registry.
- Bugfixing activity
T8.1: Enabling-technology Development
- First release of the smartgears compoinent stack
- First release of FWS compliant softwaregateway client library: softwaregateway-client 2.0.0
- First release of FWS compliant resourcemanager client library: resourcemanager-client 1.0.0
T8.2: Policy-oriented Security Facilities
- Released several components in gCube 2.17 that address the aforementioned issue. See the detailed WP8 monthly report for the list of components.
T8.3: Workflow Management Facilities
- Released several components in gCube 2.17 in order to address the aforementioned task issues.
WP9: Data Management Facilities Development
WP Leader: CNR - Participants: NKUA, CERN, TERRADUE, FAO
- In T9.1:
CNR released a new version of the storage-manager-core library for gCube 2.17. The new version implements a retry strategy for upload and download operations, using best-effort approach.
- In T9.2:
CERN released a new version of the data transfer subsystem for the gCube 2.17 released. The new subsystem contains a gcf free version of the portlet and of the libraries and the integration with gwt 2.5.1. Also the Storage Manager portle was enhanced.
- In T9.3:
CNR prepared future plan and presentation for the 7th TCom (Rome). They solved issues regarding several aspect of the tabular data Service. In particular JAXB Serialization and a lazy mechanism for the retrieval of database endpoint data from IS were addressed. CNR also worked on legacy components, especially portlets, for maintenance purposes. The main modifications for these were: update to aslcore 4.0, removal of old stack, update to gwt 2.5.1, mavenization, replaced old logging facilities with slf4j.
No deviations to report
- Release of a new Version of the Storage Manager core library
- Release of a new version of the Data Transfer subsystem
WP10: Data Consumption Facilities Development
WP Leader: NKUA - Participants: CNR, FORTH, TERRADUE, FAO
In T10.1, the Search System and the FulltextIndex have been optimized in performance while caching techniques have been applied to the latter. ForwardIndex now support distinct and orderby functionalities. An incident that caused failure on searching upon all collections was investigated and solved. Analysis of data sources supporting the Environmental enrichment. Finally, deliverable D10.2 (gCube Query Language Specification) has been authored.
In T10.2, nothing major was reported.
In T10.3, Local Outlier Factor operator was introduced, which is a method to calculate the outliers in a set of real valued vectors. One issue regarding SSB vs Recruits results has been fixed, producing very interesting results. The Signal Processing wiki and the Developer's guide for the Statistical Manager users have been validated. Also, the algorithms that run on the SM were supervised, in order to assess the call limitations of each algorithm. The activity on the algorithms involved also a first implementation of the BiOnym workflow and a consequent deploy on the SM in dev environment. Moreover, another activity has started that addresses storing algorithms of SM as generic resources on the IS.
In T10.4, gCore dependencies of xsearch-portlet have been removed. Also, work was placed in improvement of look and feel of the portlet and investigating how to allow better user-interaction. One bug related with multiple user interaction on xsearch bookmarklet was resolved.
- Deliverable D10.2
- gCube 2.17.0 release:
- Search System
- Fulltext Index
- Forward Index
- gCube Data Transformation Service client library
- xSearch Service
- xSearch portlet
- Implementation of Local Outlier Factor
- Signal Processing wiki
- Developer's guide for the Statistical Manager users
- Algorithms limitations have been assessed and refactored
WP11: Data e-Infrastructures Integration and Interoperability Facilities Development
WP Leader: NKUA - Participants: CNR, CERN, E-IIS, FORTH, TERRADUE, FAO
During October, in T11.2 effort was spent on supporting the GHN Manager client integration test with common-security libraries. Also, common client libraries framework has been extended to support services managed by SmartGears.
In T11.3 effort was spent on developing of client libraries for OpenSearch DataSource, gCube Data Transformation System and Personalisation services which have been released. Furthermore, Resource Registry and the ASL components have been integrated with the FeatherWeightStack and released.
In the context of security HTTPS communication among Nodes and Portal has been achieved.
The following components have been released in 2.17.0: