06.04.2012 Geospatial Cluster Conference Call
From IMarine Wiki
Time: Friday April 06, 2012, 10:00 - 11:00 Europe/Rome
- Progress since TCom;
- Documenting community desiderata
- discuss a high level agenda for requirements reporting
CNR: L. Candela, P. Pagano
FAO: A. Ellenbroek, E. Blondel
Terradue: F. Brito
Progress since TCom
- Emmanuel: no activity but the revision of the intersection engine;
- at the TCom Emmanuel mentioned an improvement in GeoTools that is in place now (Support of Vendor specific parameters in WFS Datastore);
- Are the clashes / overlap between the Terradue proposed approach and the expectation of SPREAD/the implementation of the intersection (GeoBatch) Engine resolved?
- Emmanuel has been not able to reply because there was no interaction with Geosolutions (no under contract with FAO until now) and it is still a planned discussion about overlaps but also synergies according to the Geospatial data management step considered;
- Lino precised that the architecture proposal presented by Fabrice is the one agreed for the infrastructure.;
- the use of the Intersection Engine was mentioned at Tcom, because envisaged initially by FAO in SPREAD.;
- It is not clear anymore if there is a plan to push the Intersection Engine in imarine or not;
- documentation on the Intersection Engine is in the FIGIS Wiki.;
- Intersection Engine relies on Oracle DB for storing results;
- Anton: the goal is to make the Intersection Engine interoperable with iMarine;
- BTW, if the number on intersections to be produced is limited, then it is meaningless to put in place interoperability mechanisms;
- Anton suggests to focus on making available the results of the Intersection Engine, eg by publishing them in FAO GeoServer.
- Emmanuel: intersections are stored in a single layer in GeoServer (Geoserver SQL View Layer);
- CNR is publishing Species information (Species Distribution) in GeoNetwork;
- one layer for each species;
- one single layer / table containing all the data for all the species is not feasible;
- Emmanuel: not clear which test was performed exactly.;
Emmanuel: Such tests should be further discussed, also because the Geoserver SQL view layer is the current way how the intersection engine results are published in Geoserver.;
- Lino: moreover, the GeoNetwork Explorer is a service simplifying the user during the discovery of the needed services;
- Emmanuel highlighted that the purpose of the Tcom slide that mentions Aquamaps species, was to illustrate the need of GIS technology improvements. The case of Aquamaps was taken also to relate to the Geoserver capacity. There is similar case with Intersection Engine that stores intersections with a single layer.
- Fabrice: it is not clear how this fits with the discussion occurred at the iMarine Board Meeting;
- in particular the table prepared at the meeting should be complemented with information resulting from the today discussion;
- ACTION: Gianpaolo (CNR), Anton (FAO) and Emmanuel (FAO) should liaise to finalize the table; A meeting should be scheduled;
- ACTION: Emmanuel should clearly identify what data SPREAD expects to get from iMarine and what data it plans to store in iMarine;
- ACTION: Emmanuel & Anton should discuss a list of main target species for SPREAD.
- they are consolidating what has been demonstrated at the TCom;
- they are completing the APIs definition;
- the table discussed at the iMarine Board has to be enriched with technical details;
From end of April, beginning of May Roberto (CNR) will start working to WPS part. In particular, we will work to define some of the processes;
- this is doable, the API and the detailed specification will be ready by that time;
- we can organise a one day meeting / training on how to implement such processes / integrate them in the overall architecture;
- Sure the overall architecture will benefit for SPREAD, while some points need to be clarified, e.g. the layer discovery in case of Geoserver SQL View layers (intersections).
Documenting community desiderata
The specification of the cluster Geospatial cluster is empty.
Similarly to the Biodiversity cluster, this specification should contain the components identified in the overall architecture.
Discuss a high level agenda for requirements reporting
- Gianpaolo (CNR), Anton (FAO) and Emmanuel (FAO) should liaise to finalize the table; A meeting should be scheduled;
- Emmanuel should clearly identify what data SPREAD expects to get from iMarine and what data it plans to store in iMarine;
- Emmanuel & Anton should discuss a list of main target species for SPREAD.
- To provide Intersection Engine documentation to Terradue & CNR (FAO/Figis Wiki documentation)